Public Hearing Information
A public hearing will be held at 9 am on Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at the Town of Nags Head's Board Room at 5401 S. Croatan Highway on the creation of four new municipal service districts.
Report on Establishment of Four Proposed Municipal Service Districts for Beach Erosion Control, Flood and Hurricane Protection Works, and Flood Control and Drainage Projects
Proposed Municipal Districts - Map
At their February 3, 2021 meeting, Nags Head's Board of Commissioners moved forward with establishing four additional municipal service districts to be used for future beach erosion control, hurricane protection works, and drainage projects. The additional districts include areas west of NC 12/South Virginia Dare Trail and NC 1243/South Old Oregon Inlet Road. The Board is considering how to distribute the costs for completing projects proportionate to the benefits received by property owners in geographically distinct areas of town.
What is a municipal service district (MSD)?
A defined area within a city, town or village in which the unit's governing body levies an additional property tax to provide projects or extra services that benefit the properties in that district (North Carolina General Statute Ch. 160A, Article 23)
An MSD must include the area where services are being provided directly. For beach nourishment, any MSD must include the oceanfront.
Current Municipal Service Districts
• All properties east of NC 12/South Virginia Dare Trail from Bonnett Street south to Gulfstream Street
• All properties east of NC 1243/South Old Oregon Inlet Road from Gulfstream Street south to Nags Head’s southern corporate limits
Proposed Additional Municipal Service Districts
• All properties east of US 158/S. Croatan Highway from Bonnett Street south to Gulfstream Street
• All properties south of Gulfstream Street to Nags Head’s southern town limits
• All properties east of US 158/S. Croatan Highway from Eighth Street south to Bonnett Street
• All properties east of NC 12/South Virginia Dare Trail from Eighth Street south to Bonnett Street.
1. To include a property within an MSD, the project or services delivered must be provided within the MSD boundaries. Therefore, in the future, all properties east of NC 12/South Virginia Dare Trail and NC 1243/South Old Oregon Inlet Road will be included in two municipal service districts. The Town believes that the newly established MSDs could be taxed at a nominal rate to pay for current and future planning activities.
2. Nags Head’s Board of Commissioners has not yet discussed tax rates; at this time, additional MSDs are being put into place to give the Town more flexibility for future beach nourishment activities.
2022 Beach Restoration Project
The Town of Nags Head is currently planning a beach restoration project related to 2019's Hurricane Dorian. Construction is planned to take place in the summer of 2022. View more information on the 2022 project.