Changes to Nags Head's Sanitation Services Effective May 1, 2021
- Subscription-Based Curbside Recycling Service
- Collection Route and Schedule Changes
- Blue Recycling Cart Collection
1. Subscription-Based Curbside Recycling Service
TFC Recycling is providing a $9/month curbside recycling service to all Nags Head residences.
*Note that TFC is requiring a two year contract for the service. If you signed up on or after 4/27/21, your first recycle pickup will be on Monday, May 10.
Sign Up for TFC Residential Curbside Recycling Service
You can also call TFC at 757-543-5766 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Trash Collection Route and Schedule Changes
We currently have three residential trash collection routes represented by color: blue, green, and red. There are now two collecroutes: blue and green.
- The green route now includes properties on the red route.
- All routes will receive two days of trash collection using the green carts. Recycling subscribers will receive one day of collection using the blue carts.
- The blue route now includes the Village at Nags Head west of South Croatan Highway.
Collection Schedule Effective May 1
The schedule remains the same all year long on all of Nags Head’s collection routes.
- Properties on the GREEN ROUTE now have trash collection on Tuesdays and Fridays and curbside recycling subscribers have recyclable collection on Mondays.
- Properties on the BLUE ROUTE now have trash collection on Mondays and Thursdays and curbside recycling subscribers have recyclable collection on Mondays.
A map of the new routes and schedule is available below and at nagsheadnc.gov/sanitation.
Trash Cart Requirements
Since the new subscription recycling program is voluntary, the Town’s ordinance no longer requires a minimum number of recycling carts. However, there is a requirement for seasonal rental units to maintain one trash cart for every two bedrooms.
3. Blue Recycling Cart Collection
In 2016, when the Town initiated its residential curbside recycling service, blue recycling carts were issued at no charge to all residences for use with the service. These carts were purchased by the Town with help from the North Carolina Division of Environmental Quality’s Community Waste Reduction and Recycling Grant Program. Since the Town is now initiating the curbside recycling service, the blue carts are to be used only for those participating in the recycling program. These carts may not be used for trash or by non-subscribers and will not be serviced if used improperly. To limit confusion on how carts may be used, the Town’s goal is for only those properties in the subscription program to have the blue recycling carts. Therefore, the Town is collecting the blue recycling carts from each residence and reissuing them to those households subscribing with TFC. The recycling carts may be used free of charge.
Collection of the blue recycling carts is taking place throughout Nags Head. Carts should be placed by the road on the day of trash service and left there until staff collects them. If your cart was placed out and not collected, please keep it by the road and we will pick it up.
Property owners who paid a fee for additional carts after 2016 may call Nags Head’s Public Works office at 252-441-1122 to inquire about a credit or refund.