All Fiscal Year 2018-2019 Drainage Infrastructure Improvements are fully operational and punchlist items completed. These projects included:
Project Area 1: S. Virginia Dare Trail in the proximity of Red Drum Restaurant
Project Area 2: Southern portion of the Nags Head Acres Subdivision/Northeast portion of Vista Colony Subdivision
Project Area 3: Village at Nags Head along S. Virginia Dare Trail between Mall Dr. and Epstein St.
Looking ahead, three additional Drainage Infrastructure Improvements are scheduled for FY 2019-20 are as follows:
- Project Area 10: Nags Head Cove Subdivision in the proximity of Kipper Ct.: The lower-lying sections of this neighborhood have experienced localized flooding during wet weather periods due to an absence of existing stormwater infrastructure. The goal of the project is to provide connectivity to the existing storm drain network along Danube St. to frequency and depth of flooding in this neighborhood. Drainage improvements primarily consist of a drop inlet structure and conveyance network from Kipper Ct. to Danube St. Current project status: Field surveying is complete with design development underway.
- Project Area 12: S. Old Oregon Inlet Rd., MP 19.5. This area along S. Old Oregon Inlet Rd. is low-lying and becomes inundated following significant rainfall events. The project goal is to reduce the frequency of flooding in addition to the depth of floodwaters. Scheduled drainage improvements consist of an infiltration trench catchment network along east side of S. Old Oregon Inlet Rd. These efforts will improve effective storage below existing ground level. Current project status: Surveying and design development have been completed with construction drawing preparation currently in progress. Current project status: Surveying and design development have been completed with construction drawing preparation approximately 90% complete.
- Project Area 13: S. Old Oregon Inlet Rd., MP 17.5. Sections of S. Old Oregon Inlet Rd. and the surrounding low-lying areas area frequently flooded following significant rainfall events. The low-lying topography in combination with the lack of a drainage outfall are currently the limiting factors in providing a conventional solution to this issue. Scheduled drainage improvements consist of an infiltration trench catchment network along the east side of S. Old Oregon Inlet Rd. in association with a pump station for downstream conveyance to an infiltration area. The project goal is to reduce floodwater depths and improve dewatering times for localized flooding. Current project status: Surveying and design development have been completed with construction drawing preparation currently in progress. Current project status: Surveying and design development have been completed with construction drawing preparation approximately 90% complete.
Recent drainage repair work:
- E. Danube St. Cross street storm pipe replacement: A replacement of the existing cross-street storm pipe in the proximity of the 100 block along E. Danube St. was completed earlier this week. Vehicular and pedestrian access have been fully restored in the construction work area.
- West Soundside Rd. cross street storm pipe repair: A temporary road surface remains in place along W. Soundside Rd., approximately 250’ west of the S. Croatan Hwy./Soundside Rd. intersection. The Town is currently working on a storm pipe replacement plan and schedule for completion of this work.
- NCDOT “Park Service” Outfall: A repair of the “Park Service” ocean outfall was completed earlier this week by the North Carolina Department of Transportation. Construction work consisted of removal and replacement of the oceanward sections of the outfall structure.
Recent stormwater maintenance work:
Underway: Zone #1 (8th Street to E Hollowell Street) All streets East Side of S. Croatan Highway to S. Virginia Dare Trail (in-between highways).Stormwater maintenance activities include trimming vegetation in and around drainageways, jetting of drainage pipes in conjuction with sediment & debris removal. Drainage system conditions are noted, and additional corrective action identified. Estimated completion for Zone #1 is within the next two weeks.
Upcoming (next 2 weeks): Zone #2 (E Hollowell Street south to McCall Court) All streets East Side of S. Croatan Highway to S. Virginia Dare Trail. Work will begin with jetting storm pipes, and transition to trimming vegetation and sediment and debris removal.
Drainage maintenance scheduling is subject to change. We thank you in advance for your patience while work is being conducted.