Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
The following summarizes the three (3) Drainage Infrastructure Improvements scheduled for FY 2019-20:
• Project Area 10: Nags Head Cove Subdivision in the proximity of Kipper Ct.: The lower-lying sections of this neighborhood have experienced localized flooding during wet weather periods due to an absence of existing stormwater infrastructure. The goal of the project is to provide connectivity to the existing storm drain network along Danube St. to frequency and depth of flooding in this neighborhood. Drainage improvements primarily consist of a drop inlet structure and conveyance network from Kipper Ct. to Danube St. Current project status: Field surveying is complete with design development in progress.
• Project Area 12: S. Old Oregon Inlet Rd., MP 19.5. This area along S. Old Oregon Inlet Rd. is low-lying and becomes inundated following significant rainfall events. The project goal is to reduce the frequency of flooding in addition to the depth of floodwaters. Scheduled drainage improvements consist of an infiltration trench catchment network along east side of S. Old Oregon Inlet Rd. These efforts will improve effective storage below existing ground level. Current project status: Surveying and design development have been completed with permit drawing preparation approximately 95% complete.
• Project Area 13: S. Old Oregon Inlet Rd., MP 17.5. Sections of S. Old Oregon Inlet Rd. and the surrounding low-lying areas area frequently flooded following significant rainfall events. The low-lying topography in combination with the lack of a drainage outfall are currently the limiting factors in providing a conventional solution to this issue. Scheduled drainage improvements consist of an infiltration trench catchment network along the east side of S. Old Oregon Inlet Rd. in association with a pump station for downstream conveyance to an infiltration area. The project goal is to reduce floodwater depths and improve dewatering times for localized flooding. Current project status: Surveying and design development have been completed with permit drawing preparation approximately 95% complete.
Scheduled drainage repair work:
West Soundside Rd. cross street storm pipe repair: A temporary road surface remains in place along W. Soundside Rd., approximately 250’ west of the S. Croatan Hwy./Soundside Rd. intersection. Repair work is scheduled to commence in the next two weeks
Recent stormwater maintenance work:
• Complete: Zone #1 (8th Street to E Hollowell Street) All streets east of S. Croatan Highway to S. Virginia Dare Trail (in-between highways). Stormwater maintenance activities include trimming vegetation in and around drainageways, jetting of drainage pipes in conjunction with sediment & debris removal. Drainage system conditions have been noted, and additional corrective action identified.
• In progress: Zone #3 (E Hollowell Street south to the Town southern corporate limits) All Town streets east of S. Croatan Highway to S. Virginia Dare Trail and along the length of S. Old Oregon Inlet Rd. Stormwater maintenance activities consist of jetting storm pipes, vegetative trimming and sediment and debris removal. Work has progressed past the Whalebone Junction area, and will continue South for the length of South Old Oregon Inlet Rd.
• Upcoming drainage maintenance will be performed in Zone #2 which is comprised of the US Hwy 158 west side neighborhoods spanning from Eighth St. to Whalebone Junction including Lone Cedar & Pond Island neighborhoods.
Drainage maintenance scheduling is subject to change. We thank you in advance for your patience while work is being conducted.