Number of Sanitation Carts Required
Refer to the Type and Size of Refuse Receptacles (PDF) for more information.
Sanitation Cart Placement
To ensure that your trash and recycling carts are emptied, they must be placed out the day before the scheduled collection service. Carts must be placed at the edge of the roadway with the lid opening facing the street (handles facing the house) and spacing is a minimum of 3 feet apart. Carts must be removed from the edge of the roadway and placed next to a building as soon as possible the same day of collection. If your trash and or recycling was not picked up pick up due to the following reasons:
- Cart was blocked due to a parked vehicle
- Cart was overflowing
- Cart had non-kitchen household waste in it, ie bulk/brush.
- Cart was facing the wrong way
- Cart were in the incorrect position
- Carts too close together
Please contact Public Works at 252-441-1122 for alternative options to discard of that trash or recycling prior to your next scheduled pick up.
If your trash or recycling was missed due to none of the above reasons; please contact us ASAP on that same day, so we look into it.
Watch a funny video on a serious issue - sanitation cart etiquette.
Drop - Off Recycling Center
You can drop off recyclables 24/7 at the recycling center at Nags Head's Municipal Complex at 5401 South Croatan Highway and at the Town's Public Works facility at 2200 Lark Avenue.
Paint Disposal Recommendations
These recommendations are based on the amount of paint to be disposed:
- If there is a small amount of paint left in the can, open the can and let the paint air dry. Once it has hardened it can be disposed of with the regular trash.
- If there is a larger quantity you can pour in kitty litter, sand or other such substance to dry it up. Once it is dry it can be disposed of with the regular trash.
- Finally, large quantities of paint can be saved until a scheduled Paint Swap. Dare County normally schedules two swaps a year.
The Town of Nags Head will not accept the following hazardous materials for disposal:
- Waste Oil
Disposal may be arranged by calling Dare County Public Works at 252-475-5880.