Permits Not Required for Wedding Ceremonies on the Beach
A Town permit is not required for wedding ceremonies on the beach in Nags Head; however, please read the information below.
Please keep in mind the following when planning a wedding on the beach in Nags Head:
- Please make sure guests observe the "No Parking" signs on S Virginia Dare Trail and S Old Oregon Inlet Road.
- Alcohol may not be served on the beach.
- Tents are not allowed on the beach in order to maintain clear access by beach patrol lifeguards.
- Forty chairs are allowed on the beach during the ceremony for the elderly or infirm. Please make sure the chairs do not obstruct access on or across the beach in any way. Chairs must be removed immediately after the ceremony. The number of chairs is limited to 40 to allow for emergency beach vehicle access.
- Benches on the beach are not allowed.
Tents & Tent Inspections
If using a tent during your wedding (a tent installed somewhere other than on the beach) that is over 400 square feet, you must have a tent inspection performed by Nags Head Fire and Rescue. They can be reached by calling 252-441-5909.
Please contact Michelle Gray at 252-441-5508 or email Michelle Gray for additional information on rules.
Marriage licenses can be obtained from the County Register of Deeds office - located in the Dare County Justice Center in Manteo, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Their phone number is 252-475-5970. Address is:
1044 Driftwood Drive
Manteo, NC 27954