Registration is Requested for a Wedding, Reception or Private Event
The purpose of this registration is to provide awareness for event planners, participants, neighborhoods, property owners, and town officials for all upcoming wedding-related events so that careful consideration and planning can be given to safety, parking, noise, signage, and other impacts on the community. It is the Town of Nags Head's desire to see that all events are carefully planned to ensure the enjoyment of the participants, while also limiting the potential for negative impacts that may be caused by such events if not carefully planned.
A wedding-related or private gathering is defined as 50 or more people within the Town of Nags Head. Examples include pre- and post-wedding parties, rehearsal dinners, wedding ceremonies, wedding receptions, brunches or other private events.
Wedding, Reception or other private event
The purpose for providing thirty (30) day notice is to allow the bride/groom and/or the planner to make arrangements for typically problematic details like parking and shuttle services given the nature of the Outer Banks and Nags Head. This form will be circulated to the town’s Police Department, Planning & Development, Fire Department, and Public Services to ensure that they are aware of your event plans and so that they may contact you prior to or during the event should this be necessary.
For information and to complete the form click here.
Please keep in mind the following when planning a wedding on the beach in Nags Head:
- Please make sure guests observe the "No Parking" signs on S Virginia Dare Trail and S Old Oregon Inlet Road.
- Alcohol may not be served on the beach.
- Tents are not allowed on the beach in order to maintain clear access by beach patrol lifeguards.
- Forty chairs are allowed on the beach during the ceremony for the elderly or infirm. Please make sure the chairs do not obstruct access on or across the beach in any way. Chairs must be removed immediately after the ceremony. The number of chairs is limited to 40 to allow for emergency beach vehicle access.
- Benches on the beach are not allowed.
Tents & Tent Inspections
If using a tent during your wedding (a tent installed somewhere other than on the beach) that is over 400 square feet, you must have a tent inspection performed by Nags Head Fire and Rescue. They can be reached by calling 252-441-5909.
Please contact Dee Johnson at 252-441-6386 or email Dee Johnson for additional information on the registration form. Please contact Michelle Gray at 252-441-5508 or email Michelle Gray for information on the beach rules.
For more information on getting married in the Outer Banks, please visit:
Marriage licenses can be obtained from the County Register of Deeds office - located in the Dare County Justice Center in Manteo, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Their phone number is 252-475-5970. Address is:
1044 Driftwood Drive
Manteo, NC 27954